04/09/2020

Fully Operational Again

The face-lift is finished, and so Galactic Antics lives and breathes fully once more. Huge thanks to Shintar of Going Commando for being kind enough to review the changes before they went live.

I hope you like the blog's updated look. I decided that, as I was no longer going to have an official primary focus, the blog’s theme should be similarly generic to match. Besides, as much as I loved the old Defender class corvette header, I cannot deny that it could be deemed a tad “too busy”.

I do of course appreciate that the whole “trying to emulate the series’ main titles” theme has been done to death already, but I couldn’t really think of much else which would be generic and yet undeniably Star Wars.

So, what specifically has been updated as part of the overhaul?

~~~

I had touched on it briefly, but the blog has a new header! I fancied giving the rotational-image style header a go and, while it took a bit of time to figure out exactly how to accomplish it on Blogger, I am pleased with the results. The images that are a part of the header should not be taken as a sign of games I intend to cover on this blog. These are just a collection of some of my favourite characters from the games I have played most recently as well as some screenshots which I really liked. The blog’s colour scheme has also been updated to match this new header.

The tagline has mostly kept the same theme as before, as I felt that “ramblings” perfectly described my writing style over the years. I am simply incapable of concisely stating my thoughts at the best of times, so to pretend that I have a professional writing style would be rather inappropriate. It has been updated to reflect the more generic theme which I have decided to go for with this new iteration of Galactic Antics.

The blog’s additional pages have all been scrapped. The "Characters" and "Accomplishments" pages were becoming a bit of a hassle to keep relevant as time went on so removing them also negates this personal headache. Additionally, I do not believe the latter ever really made for much interesting reading anyway. The "About" page, with nothing else accompanying it, was duly deemed superfluous to demand and has been replaced with a generic “Information” text box.

Posts are now slightly wider and have larger text. Considering that I tend to ramble on a bit too long, this is an attempt to make longer posts a bit easier to read than they were previously. 

On the more technical side of things, I have enabled a mobile-friendly version of the site. This is primarily to familiarise myself with the concept, as I need to have one for my professional website and I might as well start somewhere. I genuinely cannot stand them otherwise, which is why I had always had it disabled beforehand.

I hope you can excuse the narrower variant of the mobile site header, by the way. This is because the rotational part of the header is coded into the desktop site’s background with a general header image placed on top. I had originally tried to use a transparent header for this purpose, but on the mobile site this of course only showed the invisible image. This does, however, at least make it possible to update the central part of the header without needing to upload several different variants of the entire thing each time.

Another section for external website links has been added alongside the blogroll, this time for useful or official websites such as The Old Republic’s site and the SWTOR Fan Community site. Please note that currently the blogroll itself still only lists sites from the SWTOR community as I am not aware of any blogs which cover other Star Wars games to quite the same extent. While I am aware that many in the Battlefront and Squadrons communities like to use YouTube, I will not be listing any of the relevant fan channels here as there are simply so many of them.

 ~~~

I know a fair number of my regular readers will probably look at the site as it is now and question why it has taken almost three weeks to get it back operational when many of the changes ultimately are quite minuscule. The answer to that is just “real life happenings”. I have been working on several things concurrently so could not quite focus on getting this updated as quickly as I might have liked. 

While I am sure there will eventually be extra refinements which I can make, I am happy with what I have done with this site. I hope the rest of you will be, too.

Onward to the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment